Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Rules and Operating Points8 posts
Posted
For Temporary Events, usually, whenever a consequence doesn't state otherwise, regardless of success or failure the card goes directly to the Past.

But I'm actually kind of confused about Compound Actions on Temporary Events. I've been acting as if they're not discarded until the last action is a success; is that correct? Or should it be discarded at every failure that doesn't specifically say otherwise or move the die?

Also, relatedly, various effects tell me to do a fight on cards
172, 173, or 174
and then they have text saying that "If I win the fight" vs. "If I lose the fight", but what does it mean to "lose" the fight? Isn't the Compound Action meant to keep being taken until it eventually succeeds? Does "losing" it means you've gone unconscious?
Posted
A Compound action on Temporary event should always be manadatory (there will be a action_mandatory icon), so have to keep fighting until a success indicates to discard or to return the event card.

As for the
172, 173, or 174
cards, winning the fight means that you get to success where you return the card. I didn't find any place, that would tell you a special rule for losing the fight, so I asume standard losing the fight when you get all characters unconscious, which leads to losing the game.
Posted
Hi!

Karbous wrote:
so I asume standard losing the fight when you get all characters unconscious, which leads to losing the game.

Well, maybe not all the characters were on the terrain map with the fight.

But what is less clear to me, is what happens when you return the card by fleeing away (as allowed by one of the starting card_type_skill, for instance). In that case, did you "Win the fight", or did you "Loose the fight but make it out alive"?
Posted
An example of a place that mentions losing the fight is
dialogue 343
which says
"If you win the fight, you have avenged the murder of the compaion of the woman you met by the waterside. Check the "initiated" and "finished" boxes of the quest "Thirst for vengeance": [defense]+1 and take 2 099 cards. Return the Dialogue Book. If you do not win the fight, check the "finished" box of the quest "Thirst for vengeance" and return the Dialogue Book."
, and given the way the loss consequence mentions
updating a Side Quest on the leaflet
which can't happen if the game is over, would that only work if there were another character not involved in the action that survived?
Posted
Oh yeah, I am playing solo, so I forget that there can be more then one player. -)
So in case of more players, if not all the players are involed in the fight, and all the fighting players get unconscious, then you apply the "If you do not win the fight" consequence, because you still have at least 1 conscious player.

Regarding fleeing away from the fight, I think you can approach it in two ways:
1) You lose the fight -
after all, you are supposed to avange the murder, so if you do not kill the murderer, you failed.

2) You neither win nor lose the fight - if you can read that dialogue again, you can return to it later.
Posted
I assume winning a fight means you reach a white box that tells you to return/discard/banish and losing means it’s in a black box.
flag_curse_sm VG: icon_succes PoC: icon_succes IM: icon_succes
CS card_pick009: icon_succes, card_pick123: icon_succesicon_succes
VotE icon_succes SoM icon_succes
Posted - Edited
So in that case would using the "Flight" card count as winning or losing? Or neither?
Posted - Edited
If you use the 'Flight' card, the mandatory fight card you were currently engaged in is returned. Therefore, you're not capable of reading any 'If you lose/do not win' effects on said card anymore, because the card is already returned.

The 'Flight' card can't be used to skip a mandatory fight in the Threat or Dialogue books, since it stipulates that you get to return the mandatory fight card that you're currently engaged in. I believe mandatory fights only exist as cards when it's an Exploration card, and those are the only fights that are not integral to the story.

EDIT: I now remember there are also mandatory fights you can trigger by taking search actions on Terrain cards, and those could be returned using Flight in the same way as those on Exploration cards. However, you don't progress the thing you were searching in that case, and you'd have to re-trigger the fight by searching that spot again.
Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Rules and Operating Points8 posts