Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Errors on the game13 posts
Posted
A0711 (#222) card has a minor typo from translation, likely. The lady says "Well come"... Proper English would be "Welcome"... Obviously a very minor issue, but should be logged and addressed in a future printing -).

The next is a really a nonsensical instruction on card A0774 (#260):
during the following action, consider you have selected a card with the keyword PROJECTILE

I gather this is saying "if the active player has a purse card with ~that keyword~ and selects it during gear up, you can take the following action:" There's definitely a much better way to word the instructions on that card.

Maybe say "during the following action, you must select a purse card with the ~KEYWORD~ keyword." Just don't use the word "consider" in that context. It's poor English, confusing, and sounds like an email from an African prince wanting to expatriate some money -).
Posted
Hi, the second one is not an error, see this topic.
Posted
There are no errors.

Regarding the second point, it means that when you perform the action, you "consider" that you have selected a card with the Projectile keyword, so:
- You will not be able to select another card_type_purse card with the same keyword during the Gear Up step.
- This will allow you to use cards that require having selected a card_type_purse card with this keyword, for example, card_type_skill Accurate Shot [X].
Posted
And I think "Well come" is just the way people speak in this fantasy world. It's written that way on purpose.
Posted
I think people should stop sending "errors" like this. First, they are not gameplay errors, at worst they are just typos which won't affect anything. Second, there is a high chance it is not even a typo since there are many many words which iare just different. This world has its own language.
Posted
Maybe it’s because I‘m not a native speaker, but I had read the sentence always the way it was intended.
However I see that consider can also be used in a different way. But as people rightfully say, that writing is confusing and shouldn’t be used. So I don’t understand, why they think it is an error and not that it should be read differently.
flag_curse_sm VG: icon_succes PoC: icon_succes IM: icon_succes
CS card_pick009: icon_succes, card_pick123: icon_succesicon_succes
VotE icon_succes SoM icon_succes
Posted - Edited
It sounds like a language error from a foreign author
+
It's close to another more intuitive rule
=
It needs clarification, so let's go to the forum.
==> No problem with that. But It could be better if more people thought about the standard use of a forum, searching and finding information before posting. ;-)

@Setha : of course, you're welcome to ask any other questions. We know that this game quite often generates uncertainties. -)
resource_fire Firebird resource_fire (ma ludothèque)
T7Continent : icon_succes DV, OG, LG --- icon_curse SI, [CD+SI] --- icon_success-left Histoire, Pénitence, Funéraille --- card_type_temporary_event [SI+TS]
T7Citadel : card_type_temporary_event
Posted
I confirm that there is really no issue with reporting errors and typos; at worst, if it's not an error, as in this case for example, I will explain why. :)
Posted
Firebird, I'm not sure why you are saying that to me. 1) I looked at the FAQs 2) I looked at the errata (I have a copy printed too with my game for reference). Neither issue was there. The "Well come" is not mentioned that I can find. and I missed the other topic. (shrug)

We passed on the action because we didn't have a projectile card in inventory. I think "assume" might have been a better word than "consider"

It's still confusing, and I assume there will be a future printing of the game just like 7th Continent, so knowing this is useful.

Sarah, thank you for confirming.

Following up for those who want to argue about proper English:
"Well come to my palace" literally is an imperative to the person being spoke to telling them to come to their palace, but you are already there. Well is an introductory word that a comma should separate, therefore if it is intended to be written that way it would be written as "Well, come..."

On the other hand, "welcome" is simply a greeting, and with the context of the card, it is clear this is what would have been meant, but mispelled as "well come"
Posted
@Setha sure, I understand your points about "Well come". But this is a fantasy world. The game contains multiple words and expressions that are not 'proper English' but might be similar to regular English words and expressions. Animals similar to sheep are called "shleep", for example. "Well come" is another example of that.

The game is in the English language (all game instructions and action descriptions), but the inhabitants of the world do not speak 'proper English' (all flavor text and spoken text). Instead, they speak their own language that might be considered a native dialect of English that uses many common English expressions but also has unique words and expressions that may sound weird to non-natives (like the differences between British, American or Australian English).

It's just a way for the authors to create a sense of an alternative, fantastical reality. Many fantasy and science fictions authors use this. To give one example: in the world of 'A song of Ice and Fire' by George RR Martin, numbers are pronounced (and spelled) differently than in proper English. The number 45 is pronounced and written as 'five and forty'.
Posted
If I did not understand the renaming of some things, I would have posted about toards and hournds and whatever too. I got that. If "welcome" was being substituted by another language, then it should be more obvious, like "Irasshaimase to my palace." Or like how BSG substituting clearly different words for curse words. But if "well come" is supposed to be Kellian for "welcome" then whenever I see the words "well" and "come" on other cards do I now question whether they mean the correct English or the in-world Kellian meanings? Using another perfectly intelligible phrase that means something entirely different in that language like "Oh I'm surprised, now get over here!" is just poorly thought out. Put in "Velkomin" instead if that's what you are trying to do.

It's clearly a typo that got by the language translation review.
Posted
For context, in the French version, people say "Bon jour" instead of "Bonjour", so I think the translator tried to think of a similar transformation.
Posted
That's fine, and I don't really care. It hasn't spoiled my enjoyment of the game. I report something, if they accept it fine, if they never fix it, that's their prerogative too. I think there is a very high chance of a reprint/expansion-reprint like before, so I was simply passing it along for whatever edits they might do with the reprint.

The interesting linguistic aspect is if the translator had gone with the literal "good day" it would have been perfectly accurate, and while my French is rusty, I believe bonjour and bon jour have the same meaning with or without the space, as bon = good and jour = day, while the same is not true in English. Well as an adverb means "good", but as an adjective, it has a different meaning and different usage, and we just use "good" as an adjective. Which is why I can agree English as a language kinda sucks--too many quirks like that. For example, "I did a good job" and "I did well" highlight this oddity.
Forums/ The 7th Citadel/ Errors on the game13 posts